Friedrich Wilhelm Gymnasium
The Friedrich Wilhelm Gymnasium name originates from the Jesuit school founded in Trier in 1561. Through the centuries wine production from the estate's vineyards helped to support the school. Today the estate consists of around 25 hectares on the steep slopes of the Middle Mosel and Saar - all exclusively dedicated to Riesling.
The cellars lie deep under the city of Trier - wher a stone in the foundations bears the date 1593. Here fermentation takes place in stainless steel or in traditional Mosel 'Fuder' (1000 litre barrels).
The school itself changed names a number of times following its foundation, but an interesting note is that one of its more famous pupils was Trier-born Karl Marx!